Gray Area’s Creative Code education program teaches computing skills for artistic expression and professional development. We offer multiple 10-Week immersives, annual funded fellowships, youth apprenticeships and frequent specialized workshops, all with the goal to produce new work.
- We change our classes regularly to teach the latest digital tools and update our curriculum in tandem with evolving fields.
- As artists and coders ourselves, we are aware of gaps in educational offering and are able to curate classes that might not be available anywhere else.
- We select seasoned educators who are passionate about accessible creative code education to lead our classes.
- Our faculty are recognized for actively shaping their fields and practices, while also being active members of their communities.
- We offer college-level technology instruction for $30 per classroom hour.
- As a nonprofit, our first priority is educating as many people as possible, regardless of income, background, or experience.
- We champion small class size to ensure quality instruction in every course.
October 3 - December 20, 2017
Now accepting applications for our Spring Cohort - Apply Now! Due June 30th.
August 16 - August 18, 2017
This three-day workshop will be an introduction to Unreal Engine as a tool for visionary exploration and artistic expression.
August 12, 2017 - 12:00 PM
Unleash the creative potential of machine learning using sensors and the open source tool Wekinator!
August 5, 2017 - 12:00 PM
Paint with light in this workshop on interactive LED sculpture. In this six hour course, you will explore creating mid-size to large LED installations using the wireless ESP8266 microcontroller.
July 26 - July 28, 2017
This workshops will provide an introduction to creating VR experiences using a web browser, creative approaches to rapid VR prototyping in any WebGL-enabled browser, as well as live tutorials, demonstrations and prototype applications.
April 12 - April 14, 2017
Maps are more than just literal representations of physical locations. This two day course will explore the myriad ways artists have played with the concept of maps and cartography.
April 11 - June 28, 2017
Now accepting applications for our Spring Cohort - Apply Now! Due March 27th.
March 18, 2017 - 11:00 AM
As a continuation of Creative Code Youth Apprenticeship program with NOW Hunters Point, we are excited to offer a FREE introductory workshop on Creative Coding for San Francisco youth between the ages of 15 – 18.
February 4 - February 5, 2017
In this workshop, you will learn how to build basic electronic circuit building, how to use a microcontroller, how to use interactivity with sensors, and how to create an internet-connected thing!
January 28, 2017 - 10:00 AM
As a continuation of Creative Code Apprenticeship program for girls with Dolby Laboratories, we are excited to offer a FREE introductory workshop on Creative Coding for San Francisco youth between the ages of 15 – 18.