Gray Area’s Creative Code education program teaches computing skills for artistic expression and professional development. We offer multiple 10-Week immersives, annual funded fellowships, youth apprenticeships and frequent specialized workshops, all with the goal to produce new work.
- We change our classes regularly to teach the latest digital tools and update our curriculum in tandem with evolving fields.
- As artists and coders ourselves, we are aware of gaps in educational offering and are able to curate classes that might not be available anywhere else.
- We select seasoned educators who are passionate about accessible creative code education to lead our classes.
- Our faculty are recognized for actively shaping their fields and practices, while also being active members of their communities.
- We offer college-level technology instruction for $30 per classroom hour.
- As a nonprofit, our first priority is educating as many people as possible, regardless of income, background, or experience.
- We champion small class size to ensure quality instruction in every course.
July 9 - December 31, 2018
The Gray Area Incubator membership is a peer-driven community of creators developing work at the intersection of art and technology. Membership is a 6 month commitment, though many have continued on much longer to develop their works in the Incubator.
July 29, 2018 - 11:00 AM
On Sunday July 29th, the final day of the Gray Area Festival, join us for a selection of Creative Code workshops taught by ten talented instructors, recognized for actively shaping their fields and practices.
September 11 - December 5, 2018
The Immersive is a 10-week ‘studio art course in computer science,’ focused on giving a small cohort of students a strong foundation in the art of creative code. Each week, our resident instructors guide participants through a sequence of topics where the medium is software creating interactive art.
April 10 - June 20, 2018
Immersive Session 1 is full. Now accepting applications for our 2018 Session 2 Cohort - Apply Now!
March 27 - March 29, 2018
Explore openFrameworks and experiment with 2D and 3D drawing, computer vision and interaction!
March 3 - March 4, 2018
Explore new ways to connect sensors and LEDs to make interactive installations.
February 19 - February 21, 2018
Explore Augmented Reality as a creative medium in this 6-hour workshop!
January 8 - July 6, 2018
Incubator Session 1 is full. Now accepting applications for our 2018 Session 2 Cohort - Apply Now!
October 3 - December 20, 2017
Now accepting applications for our Spring Cohort - Apply Now! Due June 30th.
August 16 - August 18, 2017
This three-day workshop will be an introduction to Unreal Engine as a tool for visionary exploration and artistic expression.
August 12, 2017 - 12:00 PM
Unleash the creative potential of machine learning using sensors and the open source tool Wekinator!
August 5, 2017 - 12:00 PM
Paint with light in this workshop on interactive LED sculpture. In this six hour course, you will explore creating mid-size to large LED installations using the wireless ESP8266 microcontroller.
July 26 - July 28, 2017
This workshops will provide an introduction to creating VR experiences using a web browser, creative approaches to rapid VR prototyping in any WebGL-enabled browser, as well as live tutorials, demonstrations and prototype applications.