Gray Area’s Creative Code education program teaches computing skills for artistic expression and professional development. We offer multiple 10-Week immersives, annual funded fellowships, youth apprenticeships and frequent specialized workshops, all with the goal to produce new work.
- We change our classes regularly to teach the latest digital tools and update our curriculum in tandem with evolving fields.
- As artists and coders ourselves, we are aware of gaps in educational offering and are able to curate classes that might not be available anywhere else.
- We select seasoned educators who are passionate about accessible creative code education to lead our classes.
- Our faculty are recognized for actively shaping their fields and practices, while also being active members of their communities.
- We offer college-level technology instruction for $30 per classroom hour.
- As a nonprofit, our first priority is educating as many people as possible, regardless of income, background, or experience.
- We champion small class size to ensure quality instruction in every course.
April 11 - June 28, 2017
Now accepting applications for our Spring Cohort - Apply Now! Due March 27th.
April 12 - April 14, 2017
Maps are more than just literal representations of physical locations. This two day course will explore the myriad ways artists have played with the concept of maps and cartography.
March 18, 2017 - 11:00 AM
As a continuation of Creative Code Youth Apprenticeship program with NOW Hunters Point, we are excited to offer a FREE introductory workshop on Creative Coding for San Francisco youth between the ages of 15 – 18.
February 4 - February 5, 2017
In this workshop, you will learn how to build basic electronic circuit building, how to use a microcontroller, how to use interactivity with sensors, and how to create an internet-connected thing!
January 28, 2017 - 10:00 AM
As a continuation of Creative Code Apprenticeship program for girls with Dolby Laboratories, we are excited to offer a FREE introductory workshop on Creative Coding for San Francisco youth between the ages of 15 – 18.
January 17, 2017 - 1:00 AM
Now accepting applications for our Winter Cohort - Apply Now! Due January 1st.
November 29, 2016 - 5:00 PM
Playtronica is a toolkit of technologies and strategies for interactivity and play! Turn objects of today into objects of the future by making them audible and interactive.
October 22, 2016 - 4:00 PM
Join Gray Area and SFMOMA for a workshop led by Jürg Lehni to learn about the core concepts and philosophies behind the Paper.js library!
October 17 - January 18, 2017
Over the course of 10 weeks six Bay Area girls (ages 15-18) will be awarded Creative Code Apprenticeships to work alongside two Creative Code woman artists and develop an interactive artwork for the renowned Dolby Laboratories' Digital Ribbon Screen on Market Street. Applications now closed.
October 17 - January 18, 2017
Over the course of 10 weeks four Bay Area youth (ages 15-18) will be awarded Creative Code Apprenticeships to work alongside two Creative Code artists and develop a public interactive artwork for NOW Hunters Point, a project sponsored by PG&E. Applications now closed.
September 13, 2016 - 6:00 PM
Now accepting applications for our Fall Cohort - Apply Now!
August 21, 2016 - 12:00 PM
This introductory workshop will give you the essential tools and knowledge you need to create a living, generative world.